Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The £40 Student Challenge - The Grand Finale

So after four gruelling weeks the £40 student challenge has come to an end and the results are in.

...

Drum roll please...

...

The total for the final week is...

£30.74

Meaning that for the challenge I am a whopping £1.05 under budget (to think what I could have spent that on)



At the end of every challenge it is important to reflect and identify what you have learnt.

1) Every time I congratulate myself for spending less than £40 a week, I carry some guilt in the back of my mind. Lots of people go days without food, whereas I complain about going days without a chocolate bar and a beer. It does go to show what a privileged bunch we are on this side of the world.

2) My twin brother once said to me, after starting his first high paying job, “People say that money can’t buy you happiness...that’s bullshit. I’m going snowboarding twice this year which makes me very happy.” To be honest I think he had a point. I spend a lot of time asking myself what it is that I really want to do, regardless of income. But at the end of the day a lot of happiness can be gained from spending time with friends, going on holiday and having a swift half!

3) Public challenges like this work. It was on my mind all the time and I dreaded the thought of coming to my blog and having to admit that temptation had got the better of me and I had over spent! It makes me wonder how else I can challenge myself? The 5 fruit and veg challenge maybe? The good Karma challenge? The 30 minute exercise challenge? The possibilities are endless.

With that I close my brown book and pledge not complain about money on this blog anymore! Night.

1 comment:

Henry said...

you did it!

check out Development as Freedom http://www.amazon.co.uk/Development-as-Freedom-Amartya-Sen/dp/0192893300