Monday, March 16, 2009

Lacking a finger to point

I’m sure everyone can relate to the saying, ‘life can be a bit of a bitch sometimes’ and this weekend fitted the bill.

I awoke on Friday, with my left index finger three times its normal size and puss trying to burst out the top of it. Lovely. I had been nursing the infection for three days, and was sure I was on the mend. Friday morning confirmed I wasn’t.

I had a friend visiting, who I left on Friday morning for university expecting to see her again in the evening. I even suggested she buy some gourmet food for dinner.

I went to my lectures and booked an appointment with the doctor for the afternoon. I intended for him to prescribe me some antibiotics while being clueless as to what had caused my finger to inflame like a sausage.

But he had other plans. He put me in a taxi to Northern General Hospital, miles away from my house and that is where I stayed for the next 2 nights.

In the mean time my friend got called home because her Nan was taken seriously ill. This soon put things in perspective – my injury was minor.

The doctor told me I had to have a small operation to drain my finger and get rid of the infection.

He had no idea as to when this operation would take place as operations are done on order of priority. My finger wasn’t that much of a priority.

While I waited I was given antibiotics through IV. My vein didn’t like the needle at first, meaning my jeans got covered in blood. They’re ruined. "whoops"

24 hours later, the time to have my operation came if I was prepared to try it under Local anaesthetic. Of course I was. I am scared of being put to sleep.

The operation was traumatic! (I’m a girl). I’m no longer scared of being put to sleep.

I left the hospital on Sunday lunchtime with a hole in my poor finger to replace the swelling. The kind nurse said: “orrr that’s a big one isn’t it”

“Yes thank you, lets never mention it again." (I was feeling a bit queezy at the sight of it).

I hope I can still play the sweet tunes of oasis.

I can't at the moment.


Today has been much better I now have a super slim line bandage that looks very fashionable and I can go to London. Thank you NHS for making me better.


1 comment:

Baker Street Irregular said...

I didn't realise finger-gate was as serious as that! Glad you're on the mend.