Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The result of a David Holmes style journalism education

It was quite funny today, I phoned up a local cambridgeshire paper enquiring about work experience and spoke to one of the subs. He couldn't help me, but said he would pass on a message to the editor. The conversation went something like this...

"So what is your name?"

"Andrew Webster"

"Normal spelling for Webster"

"Yes, W E B S T E R"

"Great, and what is your phone number?"

"07786588677"

"Ok, let me read that back to you 077 865 88 677"

"Perfect"

"And you are from St. Neots"

"yes"

"N E O T S isn't it?"

"yes"

"thanks a lot, I have written that down and will pass it on to him."

That is a man who has clearly been drilled on the importance of checking all details no matter how obvious they appear, even when taking a message on a post-it note! I imagine I would now be the same.

I'm going to read up on Evans' just in case the Editor asks me about it when I eventually talk to him.

No comments: