Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The £40 Student Challenge - Why is the world against me succeeding?

Do you ever have those days when the world seems to be against you? Today has been one of those days. Just as I seem to take one step forward in the £40 pound challenge I am knocked 2 steps backward with great force. Maybe the world is punishing me by ensuring I don’t succeed because I have made such a big deal about something that isn't that hard.

I will indulge myself and demonstrate exactly what I mean…

Example 1
I went shopping today and as I walked round the supermarket I noticed something very peculiar. Literally everything I had bought full price last week was now on special offer. It was almost as if the manager had used my old receipt as the basis for this week's lost leader campaign. Sandwich meat; buy one get one free, oven chips; half price, cheese; half price, pasta sauce; buy one, get one free. I dread to think how much I would have saved if the same offers were in place last week.

I'm not letting the bastards get me this week though. I bought everything that was on offer. The only things I bought that weren't on offer were apples, milk and bread. I've got 8 cans of beans in the cupboard - 2 four packs for £3. You can't beat that.

Example 2
As I walked out of the supermarket the handle on one of my bags snapped sending glass jars crashing to the ground. My shopping (and jeans) was covered in a mix of mayonnaise and mascarpone pasta sauce. It was a disheartening moment. Two old ladies came and gave me one of the carriers they keep in reserve especially for situations like that.



When I carry my shopping home I expect a sturdy handle. I thought this was the basis of a sound argument and I marched back into the supermarket to express my concern at the frailties of their carrier bags.

But the lady I met with a stern stare was so nice. She gave me tissue to clean myself up and fetched replacements free of charge. If I make it under budget this week it will be her I have to thank. Such human kindness makes life worthwhile.

Example 3
I was disappointed with myself yesterday because I didn't have my own lunch and resorted to a Boots specialty meal deal.

However just now I went make 2 delicious sandwiches for tomorrow. But disaster struck once more when I realised I didn't have cling film or foil or anything for that matter to wrap my sandwiches in. What do I do? What is the point of having bread, turkey and cheese if you have nothing to wrap the finished product in? If I just put them in my ice-cream tub will they go stale? I despair!

1 comment:

Nick Howard said...

Reading this is hilarious. It's a shame you're just really starting to get the hang of it and it's nearly the end of the challenge. How is the bank balance looking? How about carrying the challenge for a bit longer or perhaps making a new challenge?