Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Top 10 from the Isle of Wight festival

I went to the Isle of Wight festival at the weekend. But I did it a little differently to yesteryear. Gone were the tents, the band obsession and the craving for alcohol.

Instead this was a mild affair, going home in the evenings, seeing bands I know little about and reading the newspaper during the day. Oh, and the rain. I've never experienced rain quite like it.

So not to forget, I've captured ten top moments, similar to the Metro

1) Kings of Leon: Brilliant band who got the festival off to a great start on the first night. They started with some older heavier stuff too - Four Kicks et al - which was much appreciated.



2) Reading the newspaper:
Didn't see much on Saturday, so had a relaxing day lying on the grass reading the newspaper at the Garden Stage. Very nice it was too.



3) Seasick Steve's quirky set and telling his backstory - "Let me tell ya, I'm getting some spare change now." Also Dave Grohl dedicating 'best of you' to Steve after saying he had found out earlier that he had queued up to see his first Nirvana gig in a small bar in Washington state.



4) Who ate all the pies? Check out this queue for pieminster.



5) The £5 footlong hotdog: The best value food on sale. Look at how happy it made me.



6) Jarvis Cocker, his lewd dancing and witty banter: I had decided Pulp were going to be the best of the rest before I went. And they were.



7) Two acoustic sets by Britpop legends Iain Broudie (Lightning Seeds) and Tim Burgess (Charlatans) made all the more beautiful by the torrential rain they performed under.






8) Liam Gallagher's swagger



9)The rain: I have never been to such a wet day at a festival. It was as much about survival as enjoyment.



10) Kasabian: They completely saved a washout Sunday with the best set of the weekend. The perfect festival band - great front man, a funky beat and many a singalong anthem.

No comments: