Friday, June 10, 2011

St Neots: making the headlines

It's not everyday that someone's home town is plastered across the front page of a national newspaper, so it's something to be savoured when it does happen.

I picked up the Metro on the way to work yesterday and started to read the front page splash about a girl being bought a boob job for her 7th birthday. You can imagine my surprise when I read:

"Her mother from St Neots, Cambridgeshire, has spent more than £500,000 on her own surgery so she looks like Barbie"

..."Poppy isn't interested in bouncy castles or pass the parcel, so I splashed out on something more grown up," said her mother, who hosts swinging parties and writes erotic novels.

Well I didn't know St Neots had it in it.



This isn't the first story Metro has run on my hometown this year. I'm sure no one can forget the "Mothers kicked out of council-run playgroup for being British" story. Emma Knightley and Kimberley Wildman were ordered out of Making Links playgroup at St Neots Priory Centre after being told the group was for non-Britons only.

"Roger Owen, administrator for Making Links, claimed the group was not a ‘typical’ playgroup and was funded entirely for women from other nationalities."

The most surprising thing about this to me, was to learn that there were people of other nationalities in St Neots. I don't remember it like that. The closest we had was my mate Paul, whose parents were from Liverpool.

It's said that a home town says a lot about someone. I hope not. I love it all the same though.

No comments: