Monday, June 20, 2011

St Neots making the headlines: part 2


On Saturday, Sarah Burge made history by becoming the most famous person to come out of St Neots after appearing in a double page spread in the Guardian entitled: ‘Does cosmetic surgery help or damage people?’

This follows Sarah’s recent front page story in the Metro entitled: ‘A breast op for my 7th birthday? Thanks, mum, it’s a dream come true’

This time, there is no mention of my hometown – St Neots you clearly need a better PR person.

But I recognised Sarah immediately. She's a face you don't forget. And before I make too many snide comments, she actually came across quite well as she pitted her wits against a Psychotherapist, arguing that cosmetic surgery was good for people with low self-esteem about their body.

"You say people are profiting from it, but you're profiting from it as well. People who are unhappy with themselves, you're sitting here counselling these people and saying, "Look, you don't want to go and have plastic surgery, it's not the right route, it's this that and the other, you've got other issues going on inside there, we're going to try and treat that together." So you've got them coming backwards and forwards, loading up your bank account, so you're quite happy with that as well."

Just, goes to show, that you should never judge a book by its cover, even if it is a rather superficial, Barbie doll looking cover.

Eynesbury Rovers see success again

But this isn’t the only national news coming from St Neots this week. This morning I got an email from my Dad saying:

“Breaking News: Eynesbury Rovers under 11s football team won their first tournament for 11 years - source Chris Evans show, BBC Radio 2.”

I played for Eynesbury Rovers, what must be about 11 years ago. I like to think of myself as a Beckhamesque right winger. What's more, I’m pretty sure we clinched the league in a well fought play-off (I was sub that day, but added my contribution by shouting encouragement from the sideline). Well done to the Rovers.

What a week for St Neots. And they say local news is dead.

No comments: