Monday, September 29, 2008

Sunday in Studentville

On the face of it I thought my Sunday was going to be a disaster. Initially me and Dave were meant to be trekking down to Cornwall to see the legendary Oasis play an exclusive gig.

However our plans were ruined by a stupid Canadian pushing Noel off stage in Canada from which he broke his ribs! The gig was eventually cancelled at the last minute.

Still as one door closes, another one opens.

With all of the excitement of a fresher I had marched down to the fresher fair earlier in the week and signed up to a number of societies, some of which were having their intro meetings that said Sunday.

As a result at 8am on Sunday morning I found myself attending my first rowing class, in an actual boat with oars and everything.

Now rowing was something that I wasn’t immediately interested in - I’ve never considered myself to have the build for the sport to be honest. However when I got chatting to the man holding an oar outside of the student union I could hardly say no. A man holding an oar on dry land has a lot of pulling power I think (not women).

Anyway the rowing went well, or at least I enjoyed it. And you know how it is when you try something new; you start planning it out in your head until you can see yourself on the podium at the Olympics.

So I showed a certain amount of willingness when I was told the next session was in the gym at 7:30am on Tuesday morning. (I was a little less keen when they mentioned the socials dressed in lycra) We will have to see how it goes, but for the moment at least I have great plans for my rowing future.

The real excitement of the Sunday came a little later on though. I went down to the student Union coffee shop for what is called the ‘Sunday Paper’ society. As the title suggests, this society is made up of a group of students that meet up every Sunday just to read the Sunday papers, have a chat and a cup of coffee and even a slice of lemon cake if the occasion really takes them.

Isn’t that the best thing you have ever heard in your life? I couldn’t stop smiling at the thought of it when I was initially introduced to the concept. How could you ever have a bad Sunday if you are a member of the Sunday paper society? The only thing that made me sad was that I hadn’t thought of it myself.

And to be honest it did live up to the hype. I walked in a little late to see people sat round tables, their papers open and the chat flowing. I spent 2 hours studying the independent and talking to some nice girls about the state of my Sunday. It was 2 hours very well spent and something I plan on doing again and again.

The final event of my eventful Sunday was a trip to see a free show put on by some improvisation comedians called the Shrimps. Again something I learnt about at the Freshers fair.
To be honest, a bunch of rowdy freshers must be the worst possible crowd, but they handled it well I thought - especially when one of the comedians first stood on stage and said,

“Tell me something that annoys you”

“You”

He then spent the next 5 minutes talking about how he annoyed himself….highly amusing if you ask me.

Roll on the student Sundays I say.

No comments: