Thursday, September 11, 2008

Interim Period

Since I got back from Karachi things have been non stop. Obviously there were the festivals, which provided an unforgettable 2 weeks welcome back period to the UK. Then there was a week working for the Cambridge Evening News, getting a bit of an insight into the media industry. Now I'm in London, half way through a 3 week period working for a careers network company, before I make my next big step - A masters in Print Journalism at the University of Sheffield.

So things are good and I think that is what I want to acknowledge.

Lots of people warned me about the challenge of coming back to the UK and settling in after being away for so long, but to be honest its not been that difficult for me because I am excited about what I have done but also about what I am about to do! I've found myself naturally not living in the past but concentrating on the future.

Don't get me wrong, because I have thought a lot about my time in Pakistan and I realise what a priceless experience it was! I also realise how happy I was there (which is strange considering Karachi is considered the 3rd most dangerous city in the world to the British foreign office) and I really miss both the place and the people. The whole year was like an adreniline rush, just because every day I knew what I was doing was part of a once only opportunity, and thats exciting.

But also the space away helped me come to terms with the end of an era - University, AIESEC, certain females etc. - and focus on the future more, and what I want to do next. Focusing on that makes you feel much more content and to be honest at the moment I'm enjoying everyday of being back.

No comments: