Thursday, September 25, 2008

Re-joining the Student Community

I think it was today that I really realized I was a student again. I woke up about midday after a heavy night in a club called ‘Embrace’. It was a Sheffield Hallam night which was full of Freshers singing, dancing and fornicating to some of the cheesiest cringe worthy anthems ever put upon this planet.

My drink of choice for the evening was Cherry VK, and the usual shirt and shoes was replaced by a tshirt and shitty pair of trainers. All of this is obviously par for the course for a Wednesday night, or at least I hope.

Truth be told I think this degree might be a little harder than the first one. I mean some of the lifestyle features are similar – I live in a grotty house, I’m eating dinners such as southern fried chicken and pasta and my financial situation can already be described as bleak.

But the sense is I am older and better prepared to work hard. According to my timetable I have 40 hours of learning contact a week.

Also the intro programme for Masters students is much more focused on meals, bowling and coffee as opposed to drinking, clubbing and sleeping.

Still I am loving being here and Sheffield is growing on me all of the time. Hopefully I can get the balance right, and make the most of being a student for one last year at the same time as getting my degree.

No comments: