Friday, October 22, 2010

Re-living my youth through the Stereophonics

I went to see the Stereophonics play ‘Performance and Cocktails in its entirety’ at Hammersmith Apollo last week. It coincided with the re-launch of that legendary album, along with their first album, ‘Word gets around’.

My journalism tutor once said to me, “It’s amazing how many people think it is great journalism to write pretentious reviews of music using complicated words that make no sense.” So I will refine from that and just say... it was rocking.

As a teenager and in my early twenties I used to spend my life going from gig to gig and festival to festival convinced they were the most profound experiences of my life that would stay with me forever. In recent years, I haven’t felt like this. I now show up to a concert, think ‘that was nice’ and then leave only to forget about it the next day.

But the Stereophonics on Monday did feel like a profound experience that would stay with me, at least for a couple of days. I think it was because it took me back to a more innocent age – my youth.

The Stereophonics defined my music taste when I was growing up, along with Oasis and the Beatles of course. They’re the reason I first picked up a guitar. My first festival was Stereophonics at Donnigton Park and my eighteenth birthday was spent at Stereophionics playing Wembley Arena. I downloaded the B-sides, watched interviews with Kelly Jones and convinced myself he was best friends with Noel Gallagher when they collaborated on Jools Holland.

On Monday I wasn’t jumping around at the front because of a gammy knee and I was there with my mum rather than my rock n’ roll friends, but the Stereophonics playing ‘Performance and Cocktails’ took me back to those glory days. And it was only made more poignant by the video that opened the show and the sad passing of Stuart Cable earlier in the summer.




Anyway, enough of that self indulgent reflection - A thousand trees and Tramps vest were probably the loudest of the night in the first encore! Here is the set list and some photos!
Roll Up & Shine
The Bartender & The Thief
Hurry Up & Wait
Pick A Part That’s New
Just Looking
Half The Lies You Tell Ain’t True
I Wouldn’t Believe Your Radio
Fiddler’s Green
T-Shirt Suntan
Is Yesterday Tomorrow Today?
In My Day
A Minute Longer
Sunny Afternoon
Nice To be Out
She Takes Her Clothes Off
Plastic California
I Stopped To Fill My Car Up


A Thousand Trees
More Life In A Tramp’s Vest
Same Size Feet
Too Many Sandwiches
-
Traffic
Maybe Tomorrow
Have A Nice Day
Dakota
Local Boy in the Photograph

No comments: