Thursday, April 23, 2009

The secret of a good journalist, by a taxi driver

At an apt moment today, the Deputy Editor of the newspaper I am working for passed on to me the three secrets of being a good journalist as shared with her by a London cabbie in the late 70's.

1) There is no excuse for not getting a story (because there is always someone to talk to).

2) There are two sides to every story.

3) Never discard a phone number.

She said this at the very moment I was starting a new note book, which I saw as a sign so wrote them down on the first page. Wisdom.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Hello Andrew,

I'm Qurat ul ain Siddiqui, a journalist in Karachi and working with the Dawn media group. I've read your articles on Pakistan and I'm thinking you're currently back in the UK.

I was wondering if you're following the Manchester raids story. The latest that I heard was that the boys will be deported although nothing could be proved against them but they're a threat to UK's security and what not. Anyway, after this, Pakistan reacted, the Pakistani High Commissioner issued a bunch of harsh statements and when Gordon Brown recently visited Pakistan, the President backed out of the joint press conference they were supposed to hold.

I was wondering if you could give me the latest on the Manchester raids as the media here has gone kinda quite on that and I'm not exactly sure how far the thing has gone and what the plan is.

What is also currently bothering me is that Monseiur Altaf, who has countless cases against him in Pakistan's Anti-Terrorist Courts and has done god knows how much to terrorise Karachi's population is living pretty well in London and right under Brown's watch.(In Wednesday's ethnic clashes in Karachi, 35 people were killed and about 42 are badly wounded.)

It's rather hypocritical of the UK government to want to deport a handful of patsies against whom nothing real could materialise and not do anything against Altaf who has probably done a whole lot more.

You can write to me on quratulain.siddiqui@gmail.com in case you find out about the current situation of the cases of those guys.